Sunday, July 20, 2008

Thing 23 Creative Commons

Creative Commons is a new concept to me. I now understand a bit more about the different levels of copy rights. I just always assumed if a person put his/her work on the internet, they were taking a big risk of it being copied. I thought it meant they were giving permission to others to use it, as long as they were given attribution. I discovered that Learning 2.0 is a discovery learning program created by Helene Blowers and adapted by the California School Library Association and others. Content and style for Learning 2.0 - 23 Things has been borrowed and duplicated with permission, under a Creative Commons License. (I copied that from the assignment page.) I think all teachers need to teach their students how to cite information correctly and make sure they give credit where it is due. In art education, copying from the masters used to be the only way art was taught. But things have changed. Now students are encouraged to create art from real life experiences or their surroundings, or from their own photos. As a teacher, I discourage copying images from the computer, or other sources. I do encourage them to use them as inspiration, or a starting point, but no more than that. To put it bluntly, it isn't art if it isn't original.

No comments: