Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 16 Get Organized

I chose iGoogle to create a start page. I love most-things-google, as they are user friendly. The google pre-set options were endless,and it was very easy to add my own links. I love having the local weather and the hottest youtube videos at my beck and call (does anyone say that anymore?) I also added links to my bloglines page. I had difficulties trying to add some other sites, such as my local library, amazon, and del.icio.us. I was having trouble with my internet connection today, so I will continue trying to add more things to it. If I can get my e-mail added to it easily, I will use it as a home page.

I'm not too keen on the online to-do lists because it is inconvenient for me to print off my laptop with my current home set up, and I need a to do list that travels with me in the car to stores, on errands, etc.

I also used joe's goals to set up a weekly goal planner, which I will use for a few weeks to see how I like it. I tried setting up My Stickies, but it did not work. I'll try it again later.

I set up a google calendar. It was very simple,and I like the flexibility of views, switching between daily, weekly, or monthly. This could come in handly for me so that I don't have to carry my calendar around with me, but then again, sometimes I need my calendar with me at places other than home or office, such as in meetings or at the doctor's office when making appointments. It will also be nice for my husband and children to be able to access my calendar, and even add their events to it, so we will all know what everyone has going on. I'll try keeping up with the online calendar for a few months to see how functional and convenient it is to use.

I think most of these tools are more helpful to me to keep my personal life organized, but crosses over into school. Many of my students do not have access to home computers, so I hate to put a lot of assignments, etc. online. I can see myself using the online calendar, goal planner, stikkies (if I get it to work), and the google start page, if I can access my yahoo e-mail easily from it. I would recommend any and all of these to friends looking for online organization.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

It looks like you tried them all! Great job! I love my Google iPage. It's nice to login anywhere and feel I'm at my own desktop cusomized by me.

Wendy's Wanderings said...

We both have the same idea about paper To Do lists. I would love to save the tree that comprises my To Do list, but I have to have that piece of paper, or nothing that is supposed to get done will.