Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thing 18 Social Networks

I have been thinking about creating a myspace for a couple of years, but just never got around to it. All three of my children have myspaces, but I'm having trouble getting them to add me as their friends. I have seen all of their sites, and there weren't any problems, but I guess they don't want me dropping in anytime unannounced. Anyway, the process was easy, and I did get my teens to give me some pointers. I still plan on adding some more pics, videos, music, and a background, but I need to work on more "things" at this point. I have also been concerned about the legal aspects of a teacher using a myspace, but I think one can be smart and limit who they allow as friends, and it's just common sense to be careful what one posts online, whether is is on myspace or somewhere else. I think my students will think it's cool that their teacher has a myspace, and judging from my own teen's attitude, they probably won't want me looking at their sites. One of my biggest concerns regarding social networks is the sheer mass quantities of time I see children spending on it, and is contributing to our childhood obesity/diabetes epidemic. I also worry that online socializing is interferring with developing real life friendships.

1 comment:

Wendy's Wanderings said...

I've had a Myspace probably since it's conception and before it's popularity with kids under 18. I finally had to open another one for my students, because they were constantly finding my other account which is private. They don't seem to mind knowing that I check their pages, that I'm kind of the "eye" for their parents, and that as long as they don't have anything I wouldn't my own child to post, I'm fine with their pages. They may not want to add you as their parent because of the "cool factor", but if they are close to a teacher, and that teacher has a MySpace, then your child probably has the teacher added a friend. There is also a site for MySpace parents. The link is on one of my blogs.